Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Case for Public Speaking


            Growing up, I was taught and always reminded that I live in a dual society; the world of my family, neighborhood and culture, and mainstream society.  Living in a dual society, I was taught how to be “bilingual” or to use another term “code” switch. 

For those unfamiliar with code switching, it is a practice where the dialect of a racial or ethnic group (ie: non-standard English, slang or native tongue) is spoken around family, in their neighborhood and their friends. It is not spoken when an individual interacts with “mainstream” society for work, school, etc, standard English is supposed to be spoken.

I can recall my mother cutting me the “look” or asking me “what did I just say” in a tone that reminded me that we are out in public and not at home or with my friends and I should use the “proper” language.  I also recall my teachers penalizing us for not code switching and using non-standard English in class.  However, when we went to recess, we were allowed to code switch and use slang and non-standard English. 

It appears as though duality and the teaching of code switching has been lost.  Since there seems to be no adult at home or in school talking to young adults about code switching, many young adult conversations are unfiltered with an excessive amount of cursing mixed in with non standard English.  Because young adults have not been taught to code switch, no one is reminding them the ability to use standard English is a valuable asset to have when interviewing for jobs or college admission, or applying for a loan.  If a potential employer or college admissions counselor or loan manger can’t understand or is offended by the way a young adult speaks, opportunities are lost.

            To combat this problem, young adults should be required to take a public speaking class.  Having a public speaking requirement will ensure young adults will have the opportunity to be instructed in code switching.  Public speaking will also aid young adults with finding their voice, learning to speak with confidence and open their eyes to the expectations of mainstream society.  More importantly, young adults will learn the cultural capital and power of code switching will have on their future adult lives.  Hopefully the experience of public speaking will renew a commitment to fully engage in the educational experiences being afforded to them while they are still young.

            As an undergraduate, all freshman were required to take a public speaking course.  The course is the reason I can present to a room filled with hundreds of people, have a conversation at a formal affair, or successfully defend my dissertation.  With public speaking, I found my voice in my freshman year and I have never looked back.  I want the same for all young adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment