Thursday, May 16, 2013

Reading: Oh the Places You’ll Go


                As graduation season approaches, one of the gifts many graduates will receive is the Dr. Seuss book “Oh The Places You’ll Go.”  As a person who loves to travel, my love for traveling began with reading. 

                As a young reader, books took me to other universes and realms to save humanity, save the damsel in distress, or to solve the unsolvable crime.  I thought about the joy reading has given me over my years and how the ability to read has given me access to opportunities that have brought me to this point in my life.  My love of reading also made me think about the children and young adults who are struggling readers or dislike reading.

                I am troubled by a child or young adult who does not like to read.  Since reading was heavily emphasized at my house, I know the foundation for developing the love of reading begins at home.  As a child and young adult, there were a plethora of books, magazines, comic books and encyclopedias in my home.  My mother read to my brother and I, I read to my brother, my grandmother took us to the library and during the summer break we were required to do book reports. 

                My love for reading was recognized and supported at the schools I attended.  During my elementary school years, we had daily quite reading time, in middle school we were allowed to do a book report and present on one of our favorite books, and in high school, my history and English teachers suggested books to us that would enhance our interest in the topics were studying.  From these experiences, I became a life-long learner.

                Unfortunately, many children and young adults are not afforded this opportunity.  Parents are sitting children down in front of the television as an electronic babysitter and they expect children will learn to read by osmosis.  In many homes, there are very few books, magazines and encyclopedias are non-existent in homes due to the internet.  Many children do not see their parents reading and many parents are not encouraging or cultivating their children to develop a love of reading.  More importantly, many parents are looking to their child’s school to teach them to develop a love of reading.  With the current climate of preparing children and young adults to pass the battery of standardized tests, developing the love of reading is lost.  This is most likely where children and young adults develop a dislike of reading.

                I could discuss the obvious outcomes of children and young adults who don’t develop a love of reading (poor academic achievement, underachievement, etc).  However children and young adults who don’t learn develop a love of reading stifles their imagination, hinders their expectations and future opportunities, and is a threat to self improvement.  Additionally, when they become adults, it is highly likely the cycle will continue with their children.  Lastly, it is highly likely as adults they will not become life long learners.

                If children and young adults do not develop a love for reading, they will not have a reference of where they could go.  Developing a love of reading gives children and young adults the inspiration to take chances in their adult life.  Developing a love for reading could transform the imagination of childhood into reality in adulthood and show them the places they could go!

Encourage a Child to Develop a Love Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment